Sunday, August 4, 2013

streets of Shanghai

I am incredibly far behind. I'm already back in the states...and have been for about 3 weeks! But my last few weeks in Asia were hectic, in the best way possible. I was traveling a lot. Saying goodbyes. Eating everything in sight. Taking lots of pictures. And I never took time to blog. So I'm making myself catch up now.

And I'm writing this mostly for myself. I just want to recall everything I can from the last few weeks in Asia. My mind was so focused on appreciating every little thing about life in Asia. Everything was more intentional than before.

So I left off with debrief. And the next weekend we traveled to Shanghai. For a little more debriefing with our small group.


couldn't be more excited

It all started with the fast train from the airport to the city. It got up to 187 mph! A taxi from the airport would've taken an hour. But the Maglev, less than 10 minutes! 

the first stop of the trip
I was dying to go to Shanghai and it met all of my expectations. Parts of it really felt like America...but always with an Asian flair. We saw all of the sites. And even attended an international fellowship church! In 2 years I hadn't stepped foot inside a church in Asia. It seemed like they had such strong community of brothers and sisters in that city. We were gathered with other believers of all nationalities. What a beautiful picture of God's kingdom.

Popsicles are trendy in Shanghai too


the 4 enjoying our last few weeks together
is this Asia?!
Tyler and Scott eating some Korean snacks off the street

We spent time together in coffee shops and restaurants discussing the last year of our lives. Our favorite memories. The lessons we learned from the Lord. Our suggestions for next year's group. And our worries and hopes for the future. 

the view from one of the world's tallest buildings
101 floors high with my faves
The only way I'm surviving right now, is because of the way I forced myself to reflect and think ahead to my future while still in Asia. I'm thankful for the people in these pictures (and several others). They taught me about Biblical community and spurred me to explore the gospel in a deeper way than ever before. As I think over the last year, I remember seeking out God's spirit and asking the Lord how to walk in the spirit. His spirit has set me free from my old self. And allows me to be reborn every day. Again and again!

Okay, more to come later!

1 comment:

  1. KELSEY!!! i need you to move back and live with me and eat mus noods and we can zumba and be HAPPY EVERYDAY! let me know what i need to do to make this happen

    ReplyDelete